Health Coach/Wellness Specialist
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for both our patients and our employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
The Health Coach supports health promotion and disease prevention and care management services. This position will work closely with patient to help explain, educate, reinforce and coach wellness initiatives based on individual goals and tailored self-help plans. The coach will work in a trusted role with members, to promote health through individual and group coaching sessions. Will be responsible to assess patient’s readiness to change high-risk behaviors, foster patient engagement in self-care activities, and coordinate patient referrals to appropriate services within the medical group and the broader community.
Salary range: $28 to $35 per hour
Seeking individual who has solid expertise in:
- Motivational interviewing
- Weight management
- Nutritional counseling
- Chronic disease management
Must have public speaking ability (experience in educating/addressing large group)
Nutritional certification preferred
This position supports company employees with wellness needs
Education: Bachelors degree in health science field
- Certified in a nationally recognized evidence-based coaching program (such as NSCH’s Certified Health Coach (CHC), L.E.A.N. Coach Certification
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) Health Coach certificate
- or Wellcoaches Core Health Coach Training or must complete certification within one (1) year of employment
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Three (3) years experience as a Wellness Coordinator/Health Coach or of health care-related experience which includes individual or group counseling in behavioral change, nurse line, chronic disease management, motivational interviewing or weight and nutritional counseling
- Demonstrated ability to assess patient needs and readiness to change as well as develop appropriate goals for long-term success preferred
- Knowledge of motivational techniques, adult learning and behavioral interviewing required
- Skilled in reflective listening and motivational interviewing as well as demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and windows-based computer skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and sensitive to patient needs and concerns
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- The Health Coach is responsible for reaching out to build and maintain effective relationships.
- Performs individual health risk assessments.
- Analyzes the individual’s health data to help the person prioritize and establish personal health goals.
- Provides ongoing coaching, teaching and social support to help individuals build self-efficacy skills and achieve personal health goal(s).
- Reviews Health Risk Assessment results and reinforces the clinician’s message about these results to referred patients.
- Conducts individual (or group) coaching sessions with patient(s) to promote awareness about identified high-risk behavior, health issue and/or condition.
- Directs the patient(s) to appropriate educational resources. Offers professional support and promotes patient engagement and self-care opportunities.
- Using motivational interviewing techniques assesses patient readiness to change behaviors. In partnership with the patient, develops, implements, monitors and documents patient’s plan to improve targeted health issue or healthy lifestyle changes. Sets realistic goals in relation to level of readiness and helps remove potential/existing obstacles.
- Collaborates with primary care team and other health professionals within the organization or local community. Under direction of clinician, may assist in the referral process.
- Monitors goal progress and provides ongoing support through telephonic, electronic or in-person encounters. Promotes use of secure electronic correspondence with patients.
- Documents patient activities, coaching sessions and referrals in an established clinical format within the electronic medical record.
- Identifies and assembles relevant and community-based resources including those that may support members of our culturally diverse patient population.
- Gathers data, develops required utilization reports and participates in the assessment of the program.
- Develops tools and training materials. May assist in the recruitment, selection and training of new staff members.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
More than a century of patient-centered care. At Memorial Hermann, we are all about advancing health. Yours.